Mai Tai Recipe – The Original Formula
- 2 ounces J. Wray & Nephew Rum (17-year old)
- Juice from one fresh lime
- 1/4 ounce Trader Vic’s Rock Candy Syrup
- 1/2 ounce Holland DeKuyper Orange Curacao
- 1/2 ounce French Garier Orgeat Syrup
Prepare your drink by loading a highball glass half full of shaved ice (at least 1/2 a cup). Shaved is best; it will chills the libation instantly as well as lightens the taste. With the exception of the dark rum, first assemble the ingredients with the alcohol, then the syrups and juice. Using a straw, stir all the ingredients(except for the dark rum). Now, ~slowly~ pour the dark rum onto the surface of the drink, allowing it float it on the rest of the ingredients.
Garnish with a pineapple spear, mint leaves and lime peel (and if possible, a cute little umbrella)
As you the drink is consumed with a straw, the dark rum slowly flows down, giving the Mai Tai a very cool, attractive look.